Seated Yoga Poses to Do While Working at a Desk
It's best to do a yoga routine before or after work, but why not incorporate some stretches into the rest of your day? When you've been hunched over your desk for eight hours or more, your body can really suffer and this could lead to to back and neck pain!. Recent research by on-demand health and fitness platform Odhealth of 2,100 adults found that two in five respondents (39%) declared that they have experienced back pain or discomfort from working from home.
Whether you're still working from your home desk or are now back in the office, a little desk yoga can be incredibly beneficial. Just taking a short time of your day to do a few seated yoga poses while working at a desk can relieve stress, boost productivity, and most importantly, make you feel happier and healthier.
The following easy yoga poses are work-friendly so that you can include them into your daily routine for a quick stretch.
5 Easy Seated Yoga Poses
- Sit up straight in your chair and aligning your upper body
- Relax your stomach and breathe into it slowly and deeply.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
Seated Spinal Twists
- Begin by sitting sideways in your chair.
- Make sure both feet are flat on the floor.
- Hold the back of the chair with both hands and twist towards the back of the chair.
- Take a few breaths here sitting taller with each inhales and turning a little further.
- Repeat on the other side.
Desk Yoga Seated Crescent Moon
The Crescent moon pose gives a deep stretch to your sides and lengthens your spine. This allows you to return to your work with better concentration.
- Lift your arms above your head, connect the palms and stretch your fingers wide.
- Lean-to one side for 2-3 deep breaths.
- Repeat on the other side.
Desk Yoga Wrist and Finger Stretches
Working at your computer all day can build up tension in the fingers, hands and wrists. This desk yoga pose should be done often throughout the day.
- Extend your arms, drawing circles inwards and outwards with the wrists.
- Spread your fingers and close your fists, releasing excess tension.
- Place your arms in front of you, with your palms facing upwards.
- Gently apply a downward pressure on each palm to stretch the wrist on each side.
- Switch the palms to face downward for a counter-stretch of the forearms.
- Hold each stretch for 5-10 breaths.
The Seated Cat/Cow
- Hold on to the sides of your chair with both hands.
- Inhale and lift your chest, arch your back and widen your shoulders into a seated Cow Pose then exhale and curl down into Cat Pose.
- Repeat a few times.
These easy seated yoga poses are easily able to fit around your day. Try a few spinal twists during the midday slump or do some easy hand stretches throughout the day to release tension. You could do a few deep breaths while you wait for the next zoom meeting to start - maybe even get your co-workers to join in too.
Get Your PAWS on A Mat
Are you feeling inspired and want to go one step further than desk yoga? Designed with high-performance in mind, we recommend our Yogi Bare PAWS mat. The perforated natural rubber has an incredible grip and helps with sweat flow. Not only are they 100% vegan, but our mats are incredibly stylish!